RECIPE: CHOCOLATE TART CHERRY SEED BALLS
If you haven’t yet picked up your copy of NY Times bestseller Rise & Run, grab this sneak peek recipe below. This is our favorite snack to eat for an energy boost before long runs.
We suggest making a double batch and stashing them in your freezer to grab anytime you feel an energy slump. They help us get out the door faster for early runs and are super easy-to-digest (nut-free, dairy-free, gluten-free).
CHOCOLATE TART CHERRY SEED BALLS
Makes 16 energy balls
Introducing nut-free energy bites that are sweet, salty, and tart to please all your discerning taste buds. They’re low-glycemic and packed with a heart-healthy trifecta of energizing seeds, including pumpkin, sunflower, and our favorite powerhouse, hemp seeds.
Seeds are high in protein, healthy fats, and essential minerals, and are shown to help balance hormones and boost your mood. These brave balls are packable and ready to join you on your next endurance adventure—whether that’s a day at the office or a mountain trail run.
- ¾ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup raw hemp hearts (hulled hemp seeds)
- ½ cup Deglet Noor dates, pitted
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried tart cherries*
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
*We like the tartness of sour cherries as a contrasting flavor to the sweet dates, but if you can’t find tart cherries, substitute dried cranberries.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, combine the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and hemp hearts. Pulse a couple of times to break up the seeds. Add the dates, cherries, chocolate chips, coconut oil, cocoa powder, and salt. Pulse or blend on high, stopping as needed to scrape underneath the blade, until the mixture is rollable and doughlike (it will be slightly oily, but will firm up once chilled).
- Use your hands to roll the mixture into bite-size balls. Place in a glass storage container. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes prior to eating. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 month.
SHALANE AND ELYSE ENJOYING CHOCOLATE TART CHERRY SEEDS BALLS BEFORE HEADING OUT FOR A RUN AT GREEN LAKES IN BEND, OREGON.
Grab your copy of Rise & Run: Recipes, Rituals, and Runs to Fuel Your Day for less than the cost of one breakfast to-go from a café. Get ready to savor the most nourishing and delicious easy breakfast recipes for athletes. Check out our 700+ 5-star reviews here.
Photos by: Tiffany Renshaw & Erin Scott.